If you'd like to offload some of your old clothing and accessories, here's a general breakdown of how to consign your items in Tokyo.
1. Bring your items to the store along with some form of ID, like your residence card (or passport).
2. You’ll have to wait for your items to be appraised. If the store needs more time, you might have to leave a phone number so the staff can call you when they’re ready.
3. You’ll receive an itemised list detailing the target resale price along with the percentage of your cut.
4. Be sure you’re ready to part with any items you bring in. While most stores will let you pick and choose what to sell or take back with you, some will only buy the whole lot, so you won’t see your items again after dropping them off.
5. Think about what you’re selling, too. If it’s more high-end designer labels, head to a shop that carries similar items for a better buy-back price. Do note that most stores only take things for the current season, so don’t expect to sell winter coats in summer.