You think your rent and property taxes are high? PropertyShark.com, a real estate website, crunched the numbers to come up with a list of the most expensive zip codes in all of the United States and—dare we say, unsurprisingly?—California and New York currently claim the majority of the most expensive zips across the land, with "pockets of pricey [areas] in nine other states."
To come up with the list, an annual company effort, the site looked at median sale prices based on closed home sales (not asking prices) between January 1 and October 16 of this year. In total, the highest medians in the country were claimed by 121 different zip codes.
We reproduce the top zip codes below but, before that, let us highlight a few other findings. Zip code 94027 (Atherton, California) remains the most expensive one in the country for the 4th year in a row while 11962 (Sagaponack, New York) claims the number two spot for the third consecutive year. Arguably the most identifiable zip code, Beverly Hills' 90210, tied with Santa Monica's 90402 at the number three spot. Overall, the 100 most expensive zip codes in the country are located in 11 states.
One of the most surprising data points: for the first time ever, no New York City zip code ranked among the country's priciest. That is likely intricately connected to COVID-19's effect on the city's real estate and a wide percentage of the local population's decision to move to the suburbs, potentially permanently.
You can read about the study in full right here and, below, find the top 15 list:
1. 94027 (Atherton, CA): $7 million
2. 11962 (Sagaponack, NY): $3.88 million
3. 90402 (Santa Monica, CA): $3.75 million
3. 90210 (Beverly Hills, CA): $3.75 million
4. 94957 (Ross, CA): $3.61 million
5. 94028 (Portola Valley, CA): $3.53 million
6. 94022 (Los Altos, CA): $3.45 million
7. 11932 (Bridgehampton, NY): $3.33 million
8. 94301 (Palo Alto, CA): $3.3 million
9. 98039 (Medina, WA): $3.23 million
10. 94024 (Los Altos, CA): $3.2 million
11. 10007 (New York, NY): $3.15 million
12. 94010 (Burlingame, CA): $3.1 million
13. 10013 (New York, NY): $3 million
14. 92657 (Newport Coast, CA): $3 million
15. 94920 (Belvedere Tiburon, CA): $2.96 million
Most popular on Time Out
- Excellent news: Quarantine-free flights between the U.S. and Italy are almost upon us
- Costa Rica is giving away 15 free trips for two—here's how to get in on the action
- Everything new coming to Netflix in December 2020
- Everything you need to know about the McRib’s magnificent return to McDonald’s
- 5 books you'll want to binge-read this December