This morning, the powers that be at Arby's announced a permanent new menu item: crinkle-cut fries. As they waffled on about the "accordion-style grooves for maximum crispiness," all we could think about were the brand's signature curly fries, one of the few reasons we still tolerate a fast-food joint that specializes in roast beef. What would become of those iconic fried and seasoned potato ringlets? McDonald's or Wendy's will surely step up to fill the curly void, right?
It wasn't until we watched this hilariously ridiculous promo video—which, by the way, enlisted Arby's voice and actor Ving Rhames to remix Sugar Ray's "Fly"—that our minds were put at ease. "I want crinkle fries," Rhames wails. "For a dollar now at Arby's, still got curlies at the Arby's."
A quick cross-check of the current menu (and confirmation from a spokesperson) reveals that curly fries are indeed still on the menu in all of their crispy, twisty glory. Crisis averted, amirite? Get the new crinkle-cut fries if you please (they're only $1 for a limited time, after all), but rest assured, the curly fries will be there for you when you need them.
Most popular on Time Out
- This boozy hike in Southern Michigan has wineries at both ends
- This 1930s Coca-Cola bottling plant has been reimagined as a foodie hotel
- Las Vegas is getting a massive Singapore hawker-style food hall
- When will Americans be able to travel to Europe again?
- All the Caribbean countries that are currently open for tourism