We’re all dreading the latest Snowpocalypse/Snowmageddon/thunder snow/polar vortex about to be dropped on our fair city like the fiendish plot of some super-villain, but there are some definite upsides to the oncoming winter weather (other than all the hilarious Game of Thrones jokes). Being raised in Arizona, I didn’t see snow until I was 18 years old, so it still holds some magic for me (meaning: I look like a crazy person to seasoned Chicagoans when I start cheering at the first sign of snow). In my defense, there is a lot of awesomeness in this city that couldn’t happen without snow, such as:
1. The Holiday Train. Catching it is a magical experience in itself, but it’s ten times more magical when it’s snowing.
2. Sparkle sparkle! Snow is nature’s glitter, meaning all of Chicago suddenly looks as fabulous as Halsted Street during the Pride Parade.
3. Crime rates drop drastically when it snows. Because even criminals take one look at a raging Midwest snowstorm and think, Nope. Not today.
4. Random sidewalk snowmen. You just know each one is some child’s masterpiece.
5. Sledding at Soldier Field. You got so depressed by the Bears sucking that you left at halftime, but at least you can go sledding to justify the trip outside.
6. Puppies in the snow. Sure, the turd blossoms in the spring are no fun, but there might not be anything more magical than watching the joy on a dog’s face as they leap into a snow drift or scoop up a mouthful of cold, white stuff.
7. Frozen parties. The Disney megahit has made it okay, nay, fashionable, to have your birthday in the winter. Just hire a couple of princesses and tell your guests the snowstorm outside was just good party planning.
8. Christkindlmarket. That collector’s mug of gluhwein is so much more satisfying when there’s a little snow in the air.
9. Breaking out the Hunters. Remember last May when you found those extremely expensive snow boots for half off? Now you finally get to wear them!
10. The Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition in Rockford. If there’s a more badass thing to do with snow than turn it into giant monsters, I don’t want to know what it is.
United States National Snow Sculpting Facebook page
11. No reservations. You can walk into some of the finest restaurants in town without a reservation and get seated immediately during a snowstorm. Isn’t that worth the extra ten minutes it took to walk through the un-shoveled sidewalk from your parking space?
12. Making instant snow in below-zero temps. Throwing a cup of near-boiling water into the air when it's -12 will make instant snow, and that is just plain amazing. I don’t care if you saw a YouTube video of it, you don’t get to tell me it’s lame until you’ve actually done it. It’s freaking magical, end of story.