The new NBC show Undateable makes for a cute comedy, but in real life there are way too many people who make themselves “undateable." Unlike the TV show, they refuse to listen to their friends' advice, and fail to change. While the show takes place in Detroit, Chicagoans also have a lot of things that can make them “undateable.”
1. You live in the suburbs: If you live in the suburbs during your 20s, you probably have been told that “it’s not cool." For many 20-somethings, what it really means is that living in the city is something that you might only do once, before all of the responsibilities such as mortgages and children come into the picture. For many, living in the suburbs hints at being too close to mom and dad, or the inability to be able to handle change.
2. You refuse to try anything out of your usual neighborhood: If you do live downtown and you tell someone that you don’t know of anything to do that isn’t within a few blocks of your work or home, it won't set well. I actually had one woman tell me that even though she lived in the city, she didn’t know how to take public transportation and didn’t plan on learning.
3. You refuse to change your look: The Goldbergs should not be the inspiration for how you still present yourself. Your wardrobe, your hair and appearance make a difference. Chicago is a trendy city, so make sure that you are willing to update your look if your friends and family keep telling you that it's out of touch.
4. You refuse to dress up for dates during the winter: I get it, the winter in Chicago bites and it’s way too long. However, it doesn’t mean that you should live in sweatshirts and boots when you are going out on a date.
5. You take Chicago sports too seriously: Yes, Chicago is a crazy sports town, but it’s not the only thing that the city has to offer. I grew up in a mixed family; White Sox and Cubs fans lived side by side (mostly) in harmony. Don't let petty sports feuds get in the way when trying to meet someone.