Get us in your inbox


Firefighters battle extra-alarm fire next to The Second City

Written by
Clayton Guse

Piper's Alley Mall was evacuated this afternoon as firefighters battled an extra-alarm blaze at 1612 N Wells St, which is adjacent to The Second City and houses some of the legendary theater's offices. DNAinfo has reported that those offices have been destroyed. Early information indicates that the fire may have started as a grease fire in the kitchen of the Adobo Grill on the first floor. The newspaper is also reporting that 

The fire did not spread to The Second City theater, but it's unclear whether or not the building experienced any smoke damage. Three injuries have been reported, according to the Chicago Fire Department's Twitter account. 

"Almost 30 years of my stuff at Second City is burned and gone," producer Kelly Leonard posted to Facebook. "But it's just stuff. The people are what's important."

We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Smoke from the fire was visible throughout the neighborhood.

Latest news


    The best things in life are free.

    Get our free newsletter – it’s great.

    Loading animation
    Déjà vu! We already have this email. Try another?

    🙌 Awesome, you're subscribed!

    Thanks for subscribing! Look out for your first newsletter in your inbox soon!