Just west of the train station and forming the east-west arm of the Green Horseshoe, these lovely gardens were founded in 1889. The first plantings took place in 1892. Since, the 4.7 hectares (11.6 acres), dominated by an English-style arboretum, and containing rock gardens, lily-pad-covered ponds, symmetrical French-inspired flowerbeds and ten glasshouses (closed to the public) have been an island of tranquillity in the city centre. It's an idyllic spot to grab a shaded bench in summer. About 10,000 plant species come mainly from Croatia, some from as far as Asia.
|Venue name:||Botanical Gardens|
Botanical Gardens, Marulićev trg 9a
|Opening hours:||Apr-Nov Mon-Tue 9am-2.30pm, Wed-Sun 9am-7pm|
|Transport:||Tram 2, 4, 9 to Botanicki vrt|