Bakar's most famous annual event has begun!
Located just 12 km down the coast from Rijeka, the charming seaside town of Bakar is hosting its Margaretino leto (Margaret's Summer) through July 31 this year.
About the festival
Margaret's Summer is a traditional summer event in Bakar. The festival is designed on the principle of providing something for everyone, from the heart.
Inspired by the life of blind Bakar waterbearer Ivan Čop, who lived in the second half of the 19th century, this year's event is marked by educational tours and workshops. In one manifestation, visitors can put on a blindfold to simultaneously experience the spirit of the destination, but also the social position of the blind and visually impaired. With this festival, Bakar aims to position itself as one of the Croatian pioneers of modern "tourism with meaning".
The festival's rich cultural and entertainment program includes theatre performances, exhibitions, classical and pop concerts, sports and children's programs and interpretive walks.
What's on - and when
June 20, Saturday - "A WALK THROUGH HISTORY - IN FOOTSTEPS OF WATER CARRIER" AND A CONCERT BY GORAN KARAN
● Installation of traditional Adriatic boats
● Presentation of the Blind Water Carrier Ivan Čop project, with an exhibition of artworks by the Bakar Elementary School and the Hreljin Elementary School on St. Andrew's Square at 7 p.m.
● Workshop "Invisible to the eyes" performed by the Association of the Blind PGŽ on St. Andrew's Square at 7:30 p.m.
● Interpretive tour with play elements "Challenge of the Bakar Water Carrier" performed by Iva Silla - Vrata Square at 8 p.m.
● The story of the Bakar water carrier performed by Sabina Sabljak on Plačica Square at 8:30 p.m.
● Guided tour with a local guide Bora Štrbac - Vrata Square at 9 p.m.
● Grand opening of Margaret's Summer and concert of Goran Karan on the Fisherman's Strand (Žal ribara) at 10 p.m. (ticket 30 kn)
July 4, Sunday - DISCOVER RUPNIK LINE
● Interpretive walk along the Rupnik line performed by Bora Štrbac - Škrljevo at 7 p.m.
July 6, Tuesday - LITERARY EVENING
● Presentation of the book "The Paths of Pavle Vidas" by Radovan Tadej and Vjekoslav Jurdan, published by the Department of the Čakavian Parliament "Bakar Region" in the City Garden at 9 p.m.
July 7, Wednesday - CHILDREN'S DAY
● Children's games organized by the "Our Children" association Bakar in the City Garden at 8 p.m.
July 8, THURSDAY - WANDER TO ZLOBIN
● Interpretive walk through Zlobin performed by Jelena Holenko Pirc - "Lynx & Fox" - Zlobin at 7 p.m.
July 10, Saturday - SINGING RISNJAK
● Choirs hiking to Risnjak, organized by KUU Sklad - Vilje at 10 a.m.
July 10, Saturday - RACE "VALICA PUNA SKALICA"
● Race over the upper town with accompanying programs, organized by Bakar Outdoor Agency at 8 p.m.
July 11, Sunday - RUCNER QUARTET CONCERT
● Rucner Quartet Concert with the guest appearance of the Chamber Ensemble Sklad, in front of the Church of the Mother of God of Porto at 9 p.m.
July 13, Tuesday - MARGARETINA - 4 TENOR CONCERT
● Holy Mass in the Church of St. Margaret at 10:30 a.m.
● A procession with the relic of St. Margaret through Bakar at 6 p.m.
● Holy Mass at the Fisherman's Strand (Žal ribara) at 6:30 p.m.
● 4 Tenor Concert at the Fisherman's Strand (Žal ribara) at 6:30 p.m. July 14, Wednesday - THEATER PLAY "LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD"
● An interactive play for children performed by the I.B. Mažuranić theatre in the House of Culture (Dom kulture) Matija Mažić at 11 a.m.
July 15, Friday - GET TO KNOW KUKULJANOVO
● Interpretive walk through Kukuljanovo performed by Marijana Mužić - Kukuljanovo at 7 p.m.
July 17, Saturday - SUMMER CINEMA
● Children's movie "Soul" in the House of Culture (Dom kulture) Matija Mažić at 7 p.m. (20 kn)
● Movie "Those Who Wish Me Dead" in the House of Culture (Dom kulture) Matija Mažić at 9:30 p.m. (20 kn)
July 18, Sunday - "ACOUSTIC PROJECT" CONCERT
● A concert with the "Folklor fusion" program in front of Kaštel at 9 p.m.
July 24, Saturday - VANNA CONCERT
● Vanna concert at the Fisherman's Strand (Žal ribara) at 9 p.m. (50 kn)
July 26, Monday - THEATER PLAY "OPERATION CAMP"
● Comedy performed by Ri Teatar at the Fisherman's Strand (Žal ribara) at 9 p.m. (20 kn)
July 30, Friday - CROATIAN HERITAGE TRAIL
● Exhibition in the church of St. Margaret and accompanying program at the Fisherman's Strand (Žal ribara) at 9 p.m.
July 31, Saturday - SPORTS' FESTIVAL "REVIVE THE FOREST"
● Trail races, Tuhobić hike, and various sports activities organized by Bakar Outdoor Agency - Satničko (Hreljin) at 10 a.m.