This site originally housed a church built in 1534 dedicated to Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia (Our Lady of Mercy), who can be seen above the portal sheltering various notables under her mantle. The 1755 earthquake demolished the main structure, leaving only the wonderful Manueline-style façade. In 1770, the church reopened to house the congregation of Nossa Senhora da Conceição-a-Velha, whose original home, a converted synagogue in the Baixa, had been flattened. The simple post-quake interior has one nave and contains an image of Our Lady of Restelo, donated to the earlier Conceição church by Prince Henry the Navigator. Major restoration work is underway but the church remains open.
|Venue name:||Igreja da Conceição Velha|
R da Alfândega, 108
|Opening hours:||9am-5pm Mon-Fri (mass 1pm Tue-Fri); 10am-12.30pm Sun|
|Transport:||Metro Terreiro do Paço|