|Venue name:||Igreja de Santo António|
Largo de Santo António da Sé
|Opening hours:||8am-7pm daily. Breaks for mass (30-45mins) at 11am & 5pm Mon-Fri; 11am, 5pm & 7pm Sat, Sun|
|Transport:||Tram 12, 28. Bus 737|
This small Baroque church opened in 1787, 20 years after construction began. It replaced a structure destroyed in the 1755 earthquake, on the spot where Fernando Bulhões, later known as St Anthony of Padua, was born around 1190. St Anthony became famous as a travelling preacher and miracle worker, the latter charisma still being frequently invoked, particularly in his capacity as patron saint of things lost. Mass marriages for those too poor to afford individual ceremonies, known as 'St Anthony's weddings', are held here in June.