|Venue name:||Igreja de São Domingos|
Lg de São Domingos
|Opening hours:||7.30am-7pm daily|
A succession of natural catastrophes has laid waste to this Dominican church since it was founded by Dom Sancho II in 1242 - most notably the earthquakes in 1531 and 1755 but, most recently, a fire in 1959. After nearly 40 years of renovation it reopened in 1997, but the still flame-ravaged interior gives the church a striking cave-like look. The high altar was completed in 1748 to the designs of Ludovice, architect of the monastery of Mafra. The Dominicans were central to the Inquisition, which was based across the square, and autos-da-fé often included a procession that began from here. The best time to visit is between 12.30pm and 5pm, when there's no mass going on.