Lisbon's cathedral is a symbol of the Christian Reconquest, having been built in the 12th century on the site of the main mosque. It was enlarged in subsequent centuries and facelifts were made necessary by earthquake damage, particularly after the 1755 quake: the south tower collapsed and the interior chancel, chapels and high altar were damaged. The Sé's current appearance is the result of restoration work completed in 1930 that removed many Baroque trappings and reconstructed the rose window from fragments of the original. In the original Romanesque scheme, the Sé was laid out in the form of a Latin cross with three naves. Gothic cloisters were added under Dom Dinis (early 14th century). The treasury has artefacts and vestments, but visitors may be more interested in the cloisters, where parts of the mosque wall have been uncovered, as well as a section of Roman road and remains of the Visigothic occupation.
|Venue name:||Lisbon Cathedral||Contact:|
Largo da Sé
|Opening hours:||Church 9am-5pm Mon, Sun; 9am-7pm Tue-Sat|
|Price:||Church free. Cloisters €2.50; €1.25 reductions; free under-11s. Treasury €2.50; €1.25 reductions; free under-11s. Cloisters & treasury €4, €2 reductions|