The Igreja de São Roque was built for the Jesuits with the assistance of Filippo Terzi on the site of an earlier chapel dedicated to São Roque (St Roch). Most of the single-nave structure was built between 1565 and 1573, although it was roofless for another decade. The ceiling is a wonder of sorts. The original architect had planned a vaulted roof, but in 1582 a decision was made to flatroof the space in wood, and sturdy timber from Prussia was richly painted. The paintings in the inner sacristy are worth seeing, but the main attraction is the side chapel dedicated to St John the Baptist: its lavish ivory, gold and lapis lazuli attests to Portugal's colonial wealth and extravagance. Built in Rome and shipped to Lisbon in 1749 after being blessed by the Pope, it took four years to reassemble, not least because of the detailed mosaic above the altar. The neighbouring museum contains items from the chapel, including Italian goldsmiths' work, paintings and richly embroidered vestments.
|Venue name:||São Roque Church||Contact:|
Lg Trindade Coelho
|Opening hours:||Church (with break for mass 12.15pm Tue-Sat, 12.30pm Sun) Oct-Mar 2-6pm Mon; 9am-6pm Tue-Sun|
|Transport:||Metro Baixa-Chiado. Bus 758|
|Price:||Church free. Museum €2.50; €1.25 reductions; free under-15s & all Sun to 2pm|