Housed in an 18th-century royal riding hall (commissioned by Dom João V in 1726), the Coach Museum claims to have the world's largest and most valuable collection of horse-drawn coaches - 45 of them in all. The oldest, used by Spanish incomer Philip II (Philip III of Spain) in the early 17th century, was outwardly austere so as not to stoke resentment among his new subjects, but plush inside. The art of coach-making reached its height in three Italian Baroque confections sent to Pope Clement XI by Dom João V; even their wheels are elaborately carved.
|Venue name:||Museu Nacional dos Coches||Contact:|
Av da Índia, 136
|Opening hours:||10am-6pm Tue-Sun (last entry 5.30pm)|
|Transport:||Bus 15E, 714, 728, 727, 729|
|Price:||€6; €3 reductions; free under-13s & all 1st Sun of mth|