1. Sign up early for this back-to-school baking workshop at Fabipops and learn how to create crazy cake pops (like this Gangnam Style one!) (August 22–31).
2. Goof around in a milk mustache photo booth at the New York Hall of Science's Back to School Milk and Cookies Party (August 24).
3. Catwalk into the classroom after scoping out the styles at the Back-to-School Teen Fashion Show on the High Line (August 29).
4. Follow up face-painting, free haircuts and a scavenger hunt with a screening of Wreck-It Ralph at the Bronx Terminal Market (August 29).
5. Hula-hoop, blow bubbles, draw with chalk and groove to DJ Kakez at the Brooklyn Children Museum's Back to School Jam (August 30).
6. Spend Labor Day at Fort Greene's Habana Outpost for yummy Cuban food and special activities for the kiddos (September 2).
7. Join in the NYC Parks department's summer sendoff with a carnival at Alley Pond (September 7).
8. Score sweet back-to-school deals on everything from supplies to snacks and even haircuts in car-themed chairs at Apple Seeds (September 7).
9. Munch on yummy barbecue and have a hop in one of the five bouncy castles (not necessarily in that order) at P.S. 9's Bounce Back to School Carnival (September 21).
10. Watch mad scienctists demonstrate crazy experiments that bounce and explode at Torly Kids' Back to School Science Adventure (September 28).
In addition to taking part in a cake pops baking workshop, kids will score swag from brands like ZICO coconut water, Sneaky Pete's Bananagram and of course, plenty of Fabipops treats and T-shirts. Plus, they'll be chances to win toys and Pop Out Clothing vests in daily raffles. Be sure to RSVP quickly; space will fill up fast. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot. Ages 6 and up.
Enter the park at Tenth Ave and 14th St. It's about time someone recognized the High Line's catwalking potential: 13 local teens and emerging designers present the results of their two-month workshop series in this display of the coolest fall styles for up-and-coming fashionistas. Get their early, as seating will be limited. Ages 8 and up.
Gussy up for back-to-school with free haircuts, face painting and more when the Bronx Terminal Market's level 6 garage rooftop is visited by the Bronx Museum, the Bronx Zoo, Toys R Us and local radio stations. Join in a dinosaur egg scavenger hunt and stay afterwards for a dusk showing of Wreck-It Ralph (7:30pm).
Kids starting school again (or for the first time!) can celebrate the occasion with stoop games like hula-hoop, chalk art, bubbles, crafts, storytime and snacks, while parents pick up some healthy tips on how to start the year off right. Stick around for a dance party headed by teen DJ Abbrielle Johnson (a.k.a. DJ Kakez). Ages 3 to 5.
Score big on back-to-school necessities like buy two, get three free art supplies from Melissa & Doug and 30% off all toys and school items. Make a hair appointment for your little one with Vera, who's armed with feathers, hair chalk, spikes and cool updos for fashion-conscious kiddos (plus, they get to watch cartoons and suck on lollipops while getting gussied up). While moms and dads shop, kids can also play a Pocket Frenz activity, eat free granola bar samples from Wave and GoGo Squeez, get free manis and pedis, visit a balloon artist or design their own book covers. Ages 2 to 7.
Celebrate the start of the school year with carnival games, face painting, mouth-watering BBQ—and five bouncy houses! Guests will also get a dance party courtesy of the folks at Baby Loves Disco. All proceeds to benefit student, academic, and arts programs at P.S. 9. All ages.