Ah, Blue Monday. We meet again. Whether you think the ‘most depressing day of the year’ is a giant marketing ploy or you reckon there’s actually some science behind it, the third Monday in January is still a great time to plan your travels. It’s mid-winter, you need to book your time off for the year ahead, and there are still loads of travel deals to take advantage of.
Just in time for Blue Monday, the folks over at the Guardian have compiled a pretty inspiring list of places to visit in the coming months. From a little-known Portuguese fishing village to France's newest gastronomic capital, the round-up covers all four corners of Europe and focuses on ‘sustainable adventures’.
Ready for some inspo? Here’s the full list of where to holiday in 2023 – and what to do when you’re there – according to the Guardian.
1. Fuseta, Portugal for a peaceful beach break
3. Kranj, Slovenia for a sustainable city break
6. Imotski Lakes, Croatia to explore the Dalmatian lake district
7. Margate, UK for film destinations, food and art
8. Ridgeway trail, UK to celebrate its 50th anniversary
9. South-east Turkey to discover an unexplored region
10. Tuscany, Italy to discover the region’s sculptures
11. Hauts-de-France for an escape to the new European Capital of Gastronomy 2023
12. Affric Highlands, Scotland to see rewilding in action
14. Leipzig, Germany for classical music and modern art
16. Canfranc, Huesca, Spain to stay in a new railway hotel
17. France for the Rugby World Cup
18. Southern Scotland to ride a new cycle route between Stranraer and Eyemouth
19. Austria for mountaineering village escapes
21. Versailles, France for some Marie-Antoinette cosplay
22. Appian Way, Italy to walk along Rome’s most historic road
23. Skye, Inner Hebrides, Scotland to stay in new wilderness cabins
There we have it: 23 reasons to get excited about European travel in 2023. It certainly cheered us up a bit.
Have you seen our pick of underrated destinations to explore in 2023? Plus: How to save money, beat the crowds and travel better in 2023
Stay in the loop: sign up to our free Time Out Travel newsletter for the latest travel news and the best stuff happening across the world.