The world is full of fantastic restaurants, from innovative fine-dining spots where chefs are basically scientists, to hearty, whacky but oh-so-tasty family-run joints.
All that variety makes deciding on the very best restaurants a pretty overwhelming task, but thankfully, TripAdvisor has put in the work. The online review site – the largest platform for user-generated travel advice – has just announced their final ranking of the Travellers’ Choice Awards, so the results are in!
The company analysed 12 months of review data, from June 2022 to May 2023, covering 478 destinations across 58 countries, and they came up with five worldwide categories to showcase the absolute best of the best. There's also a pick of ‘everyday eats’ which you can filter by country here.
According to the platform’s seasonal travel index, 62 percent of travellers are most looking forward to the food on their next trip, and 40 percent hope to get some places to eat booked before they even arrive.
After ranking in thirteenth place for Europe last year, Restaurant Bougainville in Amsterdam won the top spot for fine dining in the world – a pretty impressive jump. Overall, the UK did really well, with five restaurants reaching the tops of the ranks.
Romantic escapes were popular in 2023, so ‘date night’ restaurants make up another of the six categories. That category was won by Waitui Bar & Grill on Denarau Island, Fiji. Also grouped together were ‘hidden gems’, ‘family-friendly’ and ‘vegetarian-friendly’, so whatever you’re in the mood for, you’ll know where to go.
These are the top five ‘fine dining’ restaurants in the world
- Restaurant Bourgainville, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Ise Sueyoshi, Nishiazabu, Japan
- The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, United Kingdom
- Maison Medard, Boulleret, France
- Ristorante Villa Crespi, Orta San Giulio, Italy
Here are the best ‘date night’ restaurants
- Waitui Bar & Grill, Denarau Island, Fiji
- Restaurante 1621, Cartagena, Colombia
- Mylos A La Carte Restaurant, Kolimbia, Greece
- Alameda Suica, Monte Verde, Brazil
- Saigon Restaurant & Lounge, Cairo, Egypt
These are the top ‘hidden gem’ restaurants in the world
- Restauracja Future & Wine, Warsaw, Poland
- Omakase, Braga, Portugal
- Kinara by Vikas Khanna, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Rucula Cusco, Cusco, Peru
- Goreme Han Restaurant, Goreme, Turkiye
These are the best ‘vegetarian-friendly’ restaurants in the world
- Chia Vegan Restaurant, Cusco, Peru
- Blu Bar, Barcelona, Spain
- Time Traveller, Bengaluru, India
- Antica Casa Rava, Alessandria, Italy
- Veggie Pause, Fes, Morocco
And these are the top five most family-friendly restaurants in the world
- El Huaso Mirra, Tongoy, Chile
- Pizzaria da Vila, Aquiraz, Brazil
- Restaurante Casa do Tempero, Penha, Brazil
- La Casona del Zorro, La Casona del Zorro, Chile
- Hatsuhana Japanese Restaurant, Gold Coast, Australia
Stay in the loop: sign up to our free Time Out Travel newsletter for all the latest travel news.