There are so many reasons to love Boo Hanks and Dom Flemons: Hanks is a bluesman from North Carolina whose delicious, real-deal playing is the kind that silences a room in seconds flat (asked what the blues is, he replied: “Hard times, disappointment and mistreatment.” When asked if he could elaborate, he said, “No.”). And Flemons plays banjo (among other things) with Grammy-winning, grin-garnering string band the Carolina Chocolate Drops. The two have teamed up to make an album, Buffalo Junction, for the Music Maker Relief Foundation, which seeks to preserve the musical traditions of the South by looking after its musicians (novel idea, that), and tonight (Aug 16) they're playing a show at Joe's Pub. Take a peek at the songs the pair recorded in the Time Out New York office today, and book your tickets.
RECOMMENDED: See more artists play Time Out Live
You might also like
- Halloween playlist: 20 of the spookiest songs ever
- Pearl Jam 'Lightning Bolt' album review
- Sky Ferreira interview: “Anything I’ve ever done that was good always came from an honest place”
- The Hookies 2012 International Escort Awards (VIDEO)
- Cocktail recipe: How to make the perfect dirty martini (video)