Tombs from the 2nd Century BC lie secluded in a Jaffna suburb.
The Jaffna suburb of Chunnakam was put on the map in 1916 when a group of monks declared they had ‘found’ an ancient site nearby. Today Kantharodai (also known as Kadurugoda Viharaya) is still relatively quiet, despite the fact that it dates back to the 2nd Century BC. There are about 60 diminutive limestone structures, which may be dagobas, on a grass meadow surrounded by Palmyra trees.
Although there is some controversy over the origins of Kantharodai, it is believed that the domes house the remains of 80 enlightened Buddhist monks. Various artefacts that we discovered at Kantharodai are on display at Jaffna’s museum.
Unfortunately the information signs are currently all in Sinhalese.