This monastery is the largest cave temple complex in Sri Lanka, dating back to the 1st Century BC with well preserved mural paintings and 157 statues. The cave complex consists of five temples and is set on a massive rock 1118 feet above sea level. The site is surrounded by the plains of Kurunegala on one side and the rock of Sigiriya on the other. The colourful murals portray the history of Buddhism and Sri Lanka. One mural in particular depicts King Dutugemunu bearing the ancient Sri Lankan flag. Excavations reveal that the caves were used as human habitats during prehistoric times. Moreover, some believe that the incessant drips of water from the ceiling, even during the dry season, have healing powers.
|Venue name:||Rangiri Dambulla Raja Maha Viharaya|
Rangiri Dambulla Raja Maha Viharaya