Tobu Group is offering a different kind of gachapon capsule machine this winter. Instead of a little toy, you can win a meal or stay at one of 11 Tobu hotels in Japan. The Hotel Gachapon machine will be set up on the third floor of Tokyo Solamachi shopping centre from December 16 to January 15.
Only 500 capsules are available, and there are no duds – each one has a special prize, so we recommend heading there early to avoid missing out.
Each capsule costs ¥5,555, but there’s no need to fumble with change – the machine only takes cashless payment via QR code. So you’ll need to make sure you have an account with one of the major platforms in Japan such as PayPay, Rakuten Pay, Line Pay, D-Barai, AU Pay, Mercari Pay, Bank Pay, WeChat Pay and AIipay. Inside your capsule, you’ll find one of 16 prizes and a paper slip with step-by-step instructions on how to redeem it. Here are the 16 special offers up for grabs:
- One night for two in a premium twin or double room, including breakfast, at the AC Hotel by Marriott Tokyo Ginza
- One night for two in a superior twin or double room at AC Hotel by Marriott Tokyo Ginza
- One night for two in a prime king room at Courtyard Marriott Tobu Ginza Hotel
- One night for two in a suite room at Utsunomiya Tobu Hotel Grande
- One night for two in a double or twin room at your choice of Asakusa Tobu, Kawagoe Tobu or Wakoshi Tobu hotels
- One night for two in a standard room at Nikko Kanaya Hotel
- One night for two in a standard room at Chuzenji Kanaya Hotel
- One night for two in a Japanese-style or Western-style room at Nikko Astoria Hotel
- One night for two in a casual twin or double room at Sendai Kokusai Hotel
- One night for two in a twin room at Fairfield by Marriott Sapporo
- Dinner for two at Sky Restaurant 634 and tickets to the Tokyo Skytree Tembo Deck
- Prix fixe lunch course for two at AC Kitchen (AC Hotel by Marriott Hotel Ginza)
- Afternoon tea for two at Lounge Oasis (Courtyard Marriott Ginza Tobu Hotel)
- Dinner buffet for two at Verdure (Tobu Hotel Levant, Kinshicho)
- Lunch for two at Ren (Tobu Hotel Levant, Kinshicho)
- Lunch for two at Takezono (Shibuya Tobu Hotel)
The prizes can be redeemed between January 4 and March 31 2022. Best of all, whether you win a stay at the Nikko Kanaya Hotel or dinner for two at the Skytree’s Sky Restaurant 634, you’ll be getting a prize that’s worth more than what you paid.
Want to be the first to know what’s cool in Tokyo? Sign up to our newsletter for the latest updates from Tokyo and Japan.