Folks in Illinois, beware: you are the most likely state to see a ghost—at least according to this new interactive map by CardsChat.com.
The site collected data on every ghost sighting that has been recorded in the United States from 1972 through 2020 and then organized the numbers to match up with the state that they were recorded in. To figure out the odds of seeing a ghost in each state, the creators parsed through the number of ghost sightings and current state populations.
In total, 62,482 ghost sightings were recorded across the country within the selected time period with Texas reporting the largest number (7,099) and Delaware the smallest (124). On the site, you'll also be able to browse through the 10 most haunted hotspots in the United States and the busiest years for spooky sightings.
Feel free to play around with the map above but here is the breakdown of the top 10 states most likely to see a ghost and the least likely to spot one.
Top 10 most likely states to spot a ghost:
3. North Dakota
5. South Dakota
9. West Virginia
Top 10 least likely states to spot a ghost:
3. New York
5. New Jersey
Most popular on Time Out
- The entire McDonald's breakfast menu, ranked
- Candy maker Mars Wrigley swoops in with trick or treating app for Halloween
- Starting 2023, U.S. citizens will have to register to travel to Europe
- Here’s exactly what’s included in J Balvin’s collaboration meal with McDonald’s
- Top Ramen is on the hunt for a new Chief Noodle Officer