As 2016 approaches, Governor Jerry Brown will sign into law a long list of bills approved by the California State Assembly or Senate. Some are going to get a lot of buzz and impact a lot of people across the state (like the fact that the minimum wage is increasing to $10 an hour on January 1), while others will go virtually unnoticed. As time passes and certain matters become more or less pressing, some laws date better than others. Here are some of the strangest in Los Angeles and the surrounding area that you might never have to worry about breaking, but may as well know exist.
1. It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
2. You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
3. You may not hunt moths under a street light.
4. It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.
5. Toads may not be licked. (This one exists because some people were licking a certain type of toad that secretes a poison that got them high.)
6. It is a crime for dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church.
7. Zoot suits are prohibited.
Los Angeles County
8. All food in a children's camp must be approved by the director before being used.
9. It is illegal to set metal balloons afloat in the air.
10. No person may charge admission to a house party.
11. It is illegal to skateboard and roller-skate through the courthouse and library.
12. Cars are the only item allowed in a garage.
13. It is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course.