It’s never too early to get thinking about next year’s big trip. But where should you go? Well, venerable mag National Geographic has revealed its ‘Best of the World’ list for 2023, offering a few pointers as to the travel experiences that should be on your radar over the next 12 months or so.
This year’s Nat Geo list is split into five categories, with each one containing five experiences. Here’s the lowdown.
- Take a women-led sustainable tour in the Dodecanese Islands in Greece.
- Spend a long weekend on the Great Lakes in Milwaukee, USA.
- Try out indigenous outfitters in Alberta, Canada.
- Go on a new high-speed train in Laos.
- Explore Black heritage in Ghana.
- Explore the biodiversity of Botswana.
- Witness rewilding in the Scottish Highlands.
- Go on a foodie biking tour of Slovenia.
- Visit Big Bend National Park in Texas, USA.
- Take part in sustainability programs in the Azores.
- Head to Egypt to visit the new Grand Egyptian Museum in Cairo.
- Watch films and down craft beers in Busan, South Korea.
- Take a pilgrimage to the Appian Way in Italy.
- Visit the International African American Museum in Charleston, USA.
- See the Longmen Grottoes’ stone statues in Hunan, China.
- Go on an Alpine rail trip in Switzerland.
- Help conserve turtle populations in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Head to San Francisco, USA, for city-view campfires and urban hiking trails.
- Bird-watch in Colombia.
- Visit football stadiums in Manchester, UK.
- Trek to isolated Peruvian Inca site Choquequirao.
- Finally return to the outdoorsy paradise that is New Zealand.
- Venture into the lesser-visited bits of Utah, USA.
- Hike Austria’s cross-country Bergsteigerdörfer network of mountaineering villages.
- Swim amongst sharks and manta rays at Revillagigedo National Park in Mexico.
Okay, so it might not all be up your street – but it’s undeniably a spectacular range of stuff. You can read more on National Geographic’s official page here – and get pumped for a year of life-changing travel experiences.
Looking for new year travels? These are the best places to visit in January 2023.
Stay in the loop: sign up to our free Time Out Travel newsletter for the latest travel news and the best stuff happening across the world.