Right now everyone has their minds on New Year's Eve, but what comes after? Once we've gotten in our sloppy midnight kisses and slept off the champagne hangovers, 2016 starts in earnest. And it just might be the best year yet. Here are the things coming up next year that we're most excited about.
1. Beginning the year of free memberships (Zoos! Botanical gardens! Museums!) using our IDNYC card.
2. Stand-up comedian Mike Birbiglia's return to off-Broadway with his new hour Thank God for Jokes.
3. Snow. Hopefully, some that actually sticks.
4. But after that snow, a short winter (fingers crossed).
5. Getting a second dose of New Year's fun at Chinatown's Lunar New Year Celebration.
6. Suffolk Arms, a new cocktail spot by PKNY and Golden Cadillac bartender Giuseppe Gonzalez, is opening!
7. February will be washed in kinetic, hyperactive pop tunes with Animal Collective's new album Painting With.
8. The inevitable lawsuit that will ban hoverboards nationally, once and for all.
9. The remake of Ghostbusters with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy and crew.
10. The Met Museum's Costume Institute spring exhibit "Manus X Machina"
11. Living rock legend David Bowie's new genre-defying album Blackstar coming out in 2016.
12. The presidential election and all the amazing Saturday Night Live skits it will certainly inspire.
13. February 29th. It's a leap year, ya'll!
14. The New York Botanical Garden's respite from winter with its special January/February exhibit "Wild Medicine in the Tropics."
15. The No Pants Subway Ride, always a good time.
16. Seeing the pups in the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show live or on TV.
17. The return of Blue Steel in Zoolander 2.
18. Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o's Broadway debut in Eclipsed—the show is filled with actors who know how to deliver amazing performances.
19. The 2016 Summer Olympics—we’re in it for the weird equestrian sports, but the hours and hours of swimming and gymnastics events are neat, too.
20. Checking out new theater at the Public’s Under the Radar Festival. (Which is only a few weeks away.)Share the story