Demochoco’s chocolatier-owner Lim Jialiang shows how you can make all-purpose salted egg yolk sauce to slather over treats at home.
- 150g (or 12) salted egg yolks
- 30g unsalted butter
- 75ml full cream
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Optional: chilli padi and curry leaves
1. Steam salted egg yolks over medium heat for 20 minutes – if you’re using fresh salted egg yolks, they’ll cook in 15.
2. Mash salted egg yolks with a fork – resist all urges to start snacking on them immediately. For a smoother sauce, use a food processor.
3. In a frying pan over low heat, melt the butter, but don’t let it brown. Add the mashed-up yolks and cook ’til they start frothing in the pan. This is a necessary step to make the sauce richer and to remove the funk from the eggs.
4. Add room temperature full cream and mix vigorously to incorporate. For a runnier sauce, go for a 1:2 ratio of full cream to egg yolks; for a thicker sauce, try a 1:3 ratio. Season with salt and sugar to taste.
5. For a spicy kick, add three chopped fingers of chilli padi after your cream. Fry curry leaves with a small amount of butter over low heat in a separate pan, and garnish the completed sauce with curry leaves when you're ready to serve.
6. Pour on everything. We love having the chunky sauce on a scoop of salted vanilla ice cream and as a dip for fries, but you do you.
Lim sells salted egg and cereal chocolate truffles at www.demochoco.com.
Read our review of hyped-up salted egg dishes in Singapore.