Traditional Ghanaian recipes • Garden egg stew
How to make a Ghanaian classic: garden egg (aubergine) stew
9 garden eggs
8 large tomatoes or 1 can of tomato puree
2 large white onions
1 tablespoon of red pepper powder
1 habanero pepper
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 (grated) small ginger root
1/2 lb of steamed or dried fish
1 cup of dried shrimp
1 cup of palm oil
Salt ( to taste)
• Boil the garden eggs for 12-15 minutes, then remove the skin and seeds.
• Dice the garden eggs and place in a bowl.
• Heat palm oil in a cooking pot for about three to five minutes over medium heat.
• Dice one onion and fry for three minutes.
• Add pepper powder and nutmeg to frying onions and let simmer for three minutes.
• Add dried shrimp to the frying onions.
• Blend tomatoes, habanero pepper and another onion, then add.
• Let sauce simmer for about 15 minutes on medium heat.
• Add one cup of water to the sauce and let simmer for another 20 minutes.
• Add the fish and diced garden eggs to the sauce and mix in well.
• Let the stew simmer for another 30-40 minutes on low heat.
Discover Time Out original video