4 over-ripe plantains (very soft)
1 medium ginger root
1 habanero pepper
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups of vegetable oil (for frying)
2 small white onions
• Peel and mash plantains until texture has even consistency.
• Mix onions, peppers and the ginger.
• Add blended spices to mashed plantains and mix well.
• Add flour slowly to mashed plantains to bind the mixture.
• Marinate for 30-40 minutes.
• Pour oil in a cooking pot and heat on medium high for five to seven minutes.
• Use a medium-sized ladle to scoop some plantain mixture into hot oil.
• Fry each side for three minutes until golden brown.
• Remove cooked tatalé and place on a sheet.
• Repeat steps seven, eight and nine with remaining plantain mix.
• Make sure you use over-ripe plantains - the outer skin should be turning black or almost black.
• For a smoother texture, you can use an electric hand-mixer to mash the plantains.