Bangkok’s—or perhaps Thailand’s—longest-running, privately funded library turns 148 this year. Though initially founded in 1869 as the Bangkok Ladies’ Library Association, the neoclassical structure where the library now stands was only built in 1921. It was commissioned by Dr. Thomas Hays in remembrance of his wife Jennie Neilson, who, in her time, was one of the association’s guiding forces. The building was designed by Mario Tamagno, the Italian architect who also created the blueprint for the Anantasamakhom Throne Hall. Throughout the years, Neilson Hays has proven to be more than just a library; it has become a cultural center of sorts for the city, hosting all kinds of activities and gatherings, from seminars to exhibitions.
Now, the library undergoes a major renovation—probably the largest since it first opened. Over 4,000 books have been relocated to a temporary reading room in the adjacent Garden Cafe and Gallery. (You will never go hungry at this place, physically or spiritually).
|Venue name:||Neilson Hays Library||Contact:|
Si Phraya, Bangrak
|Opening hours:||Tue-Sun 09:30-17:00|