We're all still pining for a socially-distanced beach day on Lake Michigan, but in the meantime, a margarita on its glimmering shores isn't a bad substitute. You'll soon be able to make that happen when several beachfront restaurants reopen their doors later this week.
A staple of summer waterfront dining in Chicago, lakefront restaurants—full of cabanas, cheery nautical decor and killer views of the shoreline—have remained shuttered this season in accordance with the city's COVID-19-induced beach closure. While there's been no formal update from the Chicago Park District as to why the restaurants are now permitted to open, a handful of notable lakefront spots have publicly confirmed and set dates for reopening this week.
Here's where you can dine on the beach beginning this week, per social media and website updates. Check websites for reservation details, and don't forget to pack sunscreen!
The Dock at Montrose Beach, August 7
Shore Club at North Avenue Beach, August 7
Caffe Oliva, August 7
Castaways, August 7
Reggies on the Beach, August 6
Most popular on Time Out
- Lakeshore Drive-In brings live music to a parking lot near Adler Planetarium
- 6 takeaways from our first ride on a Divvy e-bike
- Chicago bars can now apply to open sidewalk patios
- Chicago’s newest pizzeria serves Sicilian-style slices from an alley in Ukrainian Village
- The 18 most exciting new restaurants in Chicago