With a towering piece of history on its doorstep, the ancient city of Dubrovnik is well known for its defensive walls, shown off during recent appearances on Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Brilliant fortifications appear all over Croatia, not just on the Adriatic coast: we took to Instagram to discover eleven examples of handsome Croatian fortresses.
2) Barbariga fortress built by the Austro-Hungarian empire in the 19th Century
3) Brod Fortress on the river Sava
4) Dinarić Fortress, built in the 15th Century as one of a chain of forts
5) Knin Fortress, these days more coffee and chill than defensive position
6) Monkodonja, why are ruins so compelling?
7) Gorgeous views from on top of Nehaj Fortress