The Ritzy is a Brixton institution, much loved for its friendly staff and anti-multiplex atmosphere. One of south London’s oldest picture palaces (it originally opened in 1911), today the Ritzy has still got a little of that grandeur. Its five screens are all comfortable and reasonably sized, while the programme strikes the perfect balance between major blockbusters and independent films, plus late-night shows and classics. There are also two bars, one offering a view across Windrush Square and serving slap-up café food, the other tucked upstairs inside the cinema and playing host to an array of club nights and stand-up shows.
|Venue name:||Ritzy Cinema Brixton||Contact:|
|Do you own this business?|
- Prosper Mérimée's fine old tale of high passions and low morals gets re-upholstered Hollywood-style in Preminger's all-black musical. The cigarette-maker with a rose instead of a fag between her teeth is transformed into Dandridge's parachute fa...Read more
- A slim Ian McEwan novella, ‘On Chesil Beach’ stews with repressed emotion and sexual anxiety. The seismic social changes of the early ’60s course through its pages like an electric current. As its two young, unprepared newlyweds – Florence and Edw...Read more
- Not every animation can tackle cruelty, injustice and institutionalised misogyny and still be a must-see for kids and parents alike, but the latest hand-drawn gem from Cartoon Saloon is no ordinary animation. In the spirit of Studio Ghibli, the Ir...Read more
- You definitely wouldn’t have bet your spaceship on this Han Solo spin-off movie being anything other than a hunk of junk. The ditching of original directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord (‘21 Jump Street’) – which was well published and just shy of a...Read more
- If you haven’t seen the first movie, which charted how gonzo mercenary Wade Wilson became Deadpool, good luck following this equally violent and potty-mouthed sequel. With its torrent of butt-foonery and CG viscera spliced with self-commentary and...Read more
You may be interested in:
Average User Rating
4.7 / 5
- 5 star:21
- 4 star:11
- 3 star:0
- 2 star:0
- 1 star:0
Covers everything from live music to indy films and food & drink. Cutest little hang out, any day or evening of the year.
A hub for great cinema, workshops, gigs and other events plus a lovely place to hang out at any time of day in the two cafes!
I've watched some of the best films here that haven't been on general release - but even if you're not catching a flick, it's an awesome hangout.
Having lived in Brixton for over 20 years, I've seen many changes, but I still rate The Ritzy, the staff, the films and it's the first cultural icon in Brixton aside from the old music venues.
A real gem of a place! The perfect way to spend a cozy Sunday afternoon in Brixton – great films, comfy seats and a yummy selection of cinema treats & drinks… What more could you ask for? Easily one of the best cinemas in London.
My FAVOURITE cinema in London. Great mix of programming, lovely events and a a great view on that top balcony!