Just try imagining New York City’s skyline without the Empire State Building. Pretty tough, huh? Since its completion in 1931, this marvel of engineering has remained one of the city’s most iconic sites and a visible reminder to Gothamites that they’re home. Click through the slide show above for photos of the Empire State Building’s construction, the aftermath of the 1945 plane crash and other historical moments, as well as sweeping views of the city from atop one of our favorite New York attraction’s observation decks.
RECOMMENDED: 50 best New York attractions
You might also like
- New York attractions: The Metropolitan Museum of Art (SLIDE SHOW)
- New York attractions: National September 11 Memorial & Museum (slide show)
- New York attractions: Carnegie Hall (SLIDE SHOW)
- New York museums: 50 interesting NYC museum facts you never knew
- New York City parks: The coolest new places to check out