As the name suggests, American spirits are the emphasis at this dark, sultry bar. Along with a selection of bourbons and ryes, there are gins, vodkas and rums, all distilled in the States. Using the homeland hooch, mixologists Jim Kearns and Lynnette Marrero shake and stir top-notch mixed drinks like the refreshing house punch made with arrack (a rumlike spirit) and chai-infused rye. The Creole Daiquiri combines New Orleans rum with chorizo-flavored mescal (it’s a bit like sipping a taco, which is a good thing). While the focus is clearly on drinking, there’s excellent upscale pub grub: We liked the fiery fried buffalo sweetbreads.
Time Out says
- 11 W 17th St
- New York
- Cross street:
- between Fifth and Sixth Aves
- Subway: F to 14th St, 456 to Union Square, NRQW to Union Square, L to Sixth Ave
- Average drink: $12. AmEx, MC, V
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri noon–2am; Brunch Sat & Sun 11am–4pm, 5pm–2am
- Do you own this business?
- Sign in & claim business
Discover Time Out original video