With the expansion of the Citi Bike program and an increasing amount of dedicated bike lines, biking in NYC is more popular than ever. (Even outside of highly stylized action thrillers.) It you're considering hopping onto two wheels and hitting the streets for the first time here are some thoughts, concerns and moments of exhilaration you have to look forward to.
1. "Oh my god, this breeze feels so amazing on my face. I made my own beach just like that Corona ad told me to."
2. "I am moving so fast, right now. Why do I walk so much? That's dumb."
3. "Wait. I'm not too drunk to bike am I? Nah, I'm fine. I'm fine. It's cool. So glad I CitiBiked to this bar."
4. "Must stay vigilant for sudden obstacles in all directions. Even from above. The city wants me to fail."
5. "Damn, New York City streets are in really poor condition. Also, I'm getting such a good workout right now."
6. "Get your car out of the bike lane. This is my lane, biyatch. I own this lane."
7. "How can all of these bikers just salmon in the wrong direction like that’s ok? People can't just drive wherever they want."
8. "Oh god, I'm on an avenue without a designated bike lane. I didn't tell my boyfriend I loved him this morning."
9. "Can I really get a ticket for running a red light? ...Really? Really though?"