If you've been waiting to see Times Square filled with more yogis than adult-stuffed cartoon characters, seize the day. On Monday, June 20, the Times Square Alliance will celebrate the summer solstice by packing thousands of people into free yoga classes all day long.
Solstice in Times Square: Mind Over Madness Yoga will offer classes from 5am to 8:30pm for those interested in meditating in one of the busiest squares on the planet. “Solstice in Times Square is proof that even in the most frenetic environments, one can, and should, take time to find harmony," said Tim Tompkins, president of Times Square Alliance and co-founder of the event. After your sweat session, you can also visit the Yoga Village between 44th and 45th streets to check out vendor booths, more yoga activities and win free stuff.
The classes themselves will take place at Broadway and 7th Avenue between 42nd and 44th Streets. You can register for free here to receive a free yoga mat day-of, and live footage will be shown on the screens above One Times Square.
Here's the full day's class schedule:
- 5:00 am – 6:00 am – Instructed by: Tim Tompkins
- 7:00 am – 8:00 am - Instructed by: Tracye Warfield
- 9:00 am – 10:00 am - Instructed by: Sarah Bell
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm - Instructed by: Rashmi Galliano
- 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm - Bikram - Instructed by: Jennifer Lobo
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm - Instructed by: Elena Brower
- 5:30 pm – 6:30pm - Instructed by: Douglass Stewart
- 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm - Instructed by: Cyndi Lee