If the extent of your sporting life is “surfing” in the subway so you don’t touch the pole or running to catch a connecting train, you're not alone. But come June, you can easily expand your range of outdoor activities with the third annual OutdoorFest. This 10-day event returns June 10–19, with over 80 outdoor activities in all five boroughs, many of which are free or less than $20.
This year's activities include:
- Yoga on the beach at Fort Tilden
- Mountain biking in Cunningham Park
- Camping out on Staten Island.
- Running a 5K at night with a headlamp
- Hiking in the Catskills
- An introduction to bird watching in Prospect Park
- A course in stand-up paddle boarding
- Helping to restore the Hudson river's oyster population.
Registration opens on April 5, so take a look at the full schedule of classes and more to decide which you want to try. (More activities are expected to be added in the coming weeks.) Some of you more sporty/fleece-owning types should consider buying the OutdoorFest Insider Pass, which will get you 30% off of every OutdoorFest event. Who says New York is a concrete jungle?