RECOMMENDED: Full guide to the best hair salons in NYC
1. For cuts and styling in the comfort of your own home, seek out Shannon Arell. The house-visiting hairstylist says she's just as happy working with "soccer moms as Williamsburg hotties," and will collaborate with you to create a custom look. You can also visit her in her natural habitat, Marie Bov Salon. For house appointments: 917-750-8516 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For salon appointments: 27 E 20th St between Park Ave South and Broadway (212-533-3400, mariebove.com). Men's haircuts start at $60, women's start at $75, single-process color starts at $85, highlights start at $95. House appointments cost an additional $25.
2. Guys on the hunt for a quality cut should book it to Arrojo Studio, where stylist Hilary Bilstad handles dapper, man-approved hair maintenance. 180 Varick St between Charlton and King Sts (212-242-7786, arrojostudio.com). Cuts start at $71.
3. East Village salon HairMates is known for its expert styling of Asian hair. 13 Third Ave between 7th and 8th Sts (212-777-4612, hairmates-ny.com). Cuts start at $25, color starts at $75, highlights start at $90.
4. Fans of close-cropped cuts need look no further than De Berardinis Salon in Chelsea, where stylist Michael Thomas executes flawless men's trims. 155 W 21st St between Sixth and Seventh Aves (212-967-0927, deberardinis.com). Men's cuts start at $70, women's cuts start at $100, color starts at $95, highlights start at $120.
5. In desperate need of a color boost? Head to Jeanine Falletta at Senses New York for spot-on highlights and dye jobs, including the perfect sunny blond. 138 Fifth Ave between 18th and 19th Sts (212-242-7979, sensesny.com). Men's single-process color starts at $75, women's single-process color starts at $130, highlights start at $150.
6. Astor Place Hairstylist provides jaw-droppingly cheap cuts of surprising quality. 2 Astor Pl at Broadway (212-475-9854, astorplacehairnyc.com). Cuts start at $15, color starts at $35, highlights start at $50.
7. All-natural doesn't mean bland: Grace Heaven Hair Salon offers rich, organic, herbal color—even bold shades like inky black. 226 E 3rd St between Aves B and C (212-253-5490, graceheaven.com). Single-process herbal color starts at $95, highlights start at $155.
8. Give winter-worn hair a pick-me-up with a moisturizing keratin hair treatment at Eli's Hair Design. 243 E 84th St between Second and Third Aves (212-288-8893). Keratin treatment $250.
9. Ion Studio cofounder Leonardo Manetti excels at blunt cuts, while colorist Naomi Knights tackles hard-to-execute shades like Arctic Blond. 141 Wooster St between Houston and Prince Sts (212-343-9060, ionstudionyc.com). Cuts $85--$200, single-process color starts at $110, highlights start at $140.
10. Those in need of maintenance for long, luscious locks should turn to Thomas Baber at Deluxe Salon. 211 North 4th St at Roebling St, Williamsburg, Brooklyn (718-387-2970, deluxewilliamsburg.com). Women's cuts start at $75, men's cuts start at $50.