Good news follows good news follows good news… First we heard that D'Angelo was making a comeback, opening shows for Mary J. Blige (read our preview here). Then we saw he was set to play Thursday's Prince tribute, curated by his old compadre Questlove (interviews here). Then Questo told us a new record would be out soon ("I promise!" he said). And then, last night—a special one-off show that found these two extraordinary musicians jamming together at Williamsburg hot spot Brooklyn Bowl. And sure, they took the stage two hours late ("Y'all waited 13 years," joked Questlove. "You can wait another two hours"), but it's no understatement to say that the Soulquarians killed it. The set included cuts fromD'Angelo's Voodoo, a Sly Stone cover and new material—with a crisp, delicious "Lady" as encore. Hats off, gentlemen.
You might also like
- Chicago and the Doobie Brothers at Jones Beach: Live photos (SLIDE SHOW)
- The xx at Terminal 5: Live photos (SLIDE SHOW)
- SXSW music photos: Heartless Bastards, Bear in Heaven, Secret Mountains and more
- Wild Flag at Celebrate Brooklyn!: Live photos (SLIDE SHOW)
- The Eagles concert photos: Live at Madison Square Garden