We've been hit with a lot of crazy news this year—and this week's update is that the Big Apple is not immune to tornado warnings.
A tornado advisory was issued last night around 8:40pm, telling New York residents to immediately go indoors, seek shelter and stay away from windows—not the usual big-city alert.
While there were no official reports of a tornado touchdown by midnight, powerful winds up to 80mph pushed through the tri-state area, including counties in and around NYC. New Yorkers took to Twitter during and after the chaos to share their thoughts and videos of flying debris around downtown Manhattan (there were no flying cows in this metropolis).
And we’re good! #Tornado warning out. 2020 is exhausting af— Gloria Fallon (@GloriaFallon123) November 16, 2020
My first tornado warning in New York 😨 pic.twitter.com/5Y3XoGqycJ— Andrew Nazdin (@andrewnazdin) November 16, 2020
Most popular on Time Out
- The Metropolitan Opera is streaming full operas for free every night this week
- The best restaurants in NYC right now
- The coolest drive-thru Christmas events near NYC
- Stunning NYC filming locations in HBO Max’s The Undoing
- There’s a new hidden tea salon that just opened in NYC
Want to know what’s cool in the city before your friends do? Sign up to our newsletter for the latest and greatest from NYC and beyond.