There’s no need to be humble about our NYC skyline; It’s magnificent; It’s momentous; And it’s incredibly distinctive—just like the folks who fill the buildings themselves. And this month, our historic skyline will illuminate the colors of the rainbow to symbolize the city’s undying effort for LGBTQ+ rights and to celebrate WorldPride.
“New York City is the birthplace of the modern LGBTQ rights movement and has played a significant role in the progress the global movement has made. This month, our city will host WorldPride to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Stonewall uprising," said Mayor Bill de Blasio in a statement. "Lighting our skyline will remind LGBTQ people around the world that New York City will always be a beacon of hope and a place to call home.”
The powerful rainbow that will dance along our skyline in all five boroughs will signify not only a point of unifying pride for all New Yorkers— but will also show tourists what being a part of this city truly means. Our city’s diversity, inclusivity, and perseverance is unwavering. This project is part of NYC & Company’s larger destination marketing initiative called Project Rainbow—which "empowers member businesses to unify their branding in celebration of WorldPride and in solidarity with all that it represents."
To feel your most proud, look to the destinations listed below on their allotted dates for the light show. This month, the pride and love we share for each other quite literally surrounds us in vibrant colors; take a moment to appreciate it for yourself.
- Barclays Center from June 24-26 and June 29-30
- Bloomberg Headquarters on June 30
- The Bronx Borough President’s Office from June 25-30
- City Hall from June 10-30
- Coney Island Parachute Jump (in cooperation with Lunca Park NYC) from June 26-30
- Empire Outlets on every evening through June 30
- Empire State Building on June 30
- Helmsley Building from June 24-30
- Hutchinson Metro Center on every evening through June 30
- Javits Center’s Crystal Palace from June 26-30
- Madison Square Garden on June 30
- One World Trade Center’s Base from June 26-30 and One World Trade Center’s Spire from June 28-30
- 151 West 42 from June 28-30
- Pershing Square-42nd Street Viaduct (Grand Central Partnership & MTA Metro-North) from June 26-30
- Pier 17 from June 26 - 30
- Resorts World Casino New York City on June 30
- Weylin, together with Brooktech from June 26-30