The legendary eatery has relocated from the West Village to the LES, but still churns out kitchen-sink dishes for a 12-year-old’s palate, such as pumpkin-pistachio–peanut-butter–cinnamon pancakes and chicken-burrito soup. Diners marvel at the wacky fare on a 200-item menu and then bide their time; many sit on the floor while waiting for one of 20 seats. Bizarro brilliance can be found in salty, toothsome macaroni-and-cheese pancakes and habanero-spiced fried chicken, but some offerings (like the Che—poached eggs over a quesadilla) should be avoided at all costs.
Time Out says
- Essex Street Market, 120 Essex St
- New York
- Cross street:
- between Delancey and Rivington Sts
- Subway: F to Delancey St; J, M, Z to Delancey St–Essex St
- Average main course: $10. Cash only
- Opening hours:
- Tue–Sat 8:30am–3pm
- Do you own this business?
- Sign in & claim business
Discover Time Out original video