Seeing the sushi master practice in this bamboo-embellished space is the culinary equivalent of observing Buddhist monks at prayer. Counter seating, where you can witness—and chat up—the chefs, is the only way to go. Prime your palate with a miso soup and segue into the raw stuff: petals of buttery fluke; rich eel; dessert-sweet egg custard; nearly translucent discs of sliced scallop over neat cubes of milky sushi rice. This is a sushi purist's paradise, and no two meals are ever the same.
Time Out says
- 204 E 43rd St
- New York
- Cross street:
- between Second and Third Aves
- Subway: 42nd St S, 4, 5, 6, 7 to 42nd St–Grand Central
- Average sushi meal (eight pieces, half roll): $28
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–10pm; Sat 6–10pm
- Do you own this business?
- Sign in & claim business
Discover Time Out original video