We know you're hungry; you know you're hungry. And lucky for you, New York offers some of the best burgers around—we've even shown you how to assemble the perfect burger yourself. But before you get that napkin flappin', it's essential you follow these rules—your taste buds' happiness may depend on it.
RECOMMENDED: All of NYC's best burgers
1. Thou shalt always have fries with that. Salads have no place on the plate.
2. Thou shalt refrain from filler: Onions, peppers and—most atrociously—bread crumbs have no place in a patty.
3. Thou shalt wholeheartedly embrace the greasy, multiple-napkin gluttony of burger eating. Leave your diet at the door.
4. Thou shalt always choose the butcher’s counter over the frozen-food aisle.
5. Thou shalt not lie with turkey, chicken or ahi tuna. These are merely impostors for the true faithful.
6. Thou shalt acknowledge a triple-bacon cheeseburger after 3am only, and only if you’ve slugged enough booze to forget about it by 3:05am.
7. Thou shalt get down and dirty. This ain’t a dainty affair.
8. Thou shalt never wield a knife and fork when eating a hamburger. Like pizza and burritos, burgers are a hands-on business.
9. Thou shalt not put your patty down for idle chitchat. The quality of a burger, unlike fine wine, rapidly diminishes by the minute.
10. Thou shalt never partake in the blasphemy of a well-done burger. When dealing with good beef, medium-rare is gospel.
It’s time to learn about another subsection of Japanese cookery: ippin, small and large grazing plates traditionally paired with sake. At this small eatery, chef-owner Mie Okada forgoes sushi for seasonal fare that utilizes as many locally grown ingredients as possible. Look for dishes such as grilled fresh bamboo shoots, as well as classics like shabu-shabu and sukiyaki.
Venue says: “The best Sukiyaki in the city and traditional Japanese dishes. Chef's tasting course from $48/pp and up”
You might also like
- Best burgers food porn slide show: NYC’s best patties
- Best cardigans and sweaters for women fall 2013: Striped and colored tops
- Best boots for women fall 2013: Ankle, calf-length and knee-high boots
- Fall fashion inspiration from stylish New Yorker Aliza Licht
- Readers’ choice best burgers: Ten NYC classics