Having anticipated this great piece of news for months, we're happy to share that the Queens Museum, which we reported on in our Fall in New York guide, is poised to open with three days of cost-free festivities over Veterans Day weekend (Nov 9–11).
Besides checking out the museum's five new exhibitions, including a retrospective of puppet-theater master Peter Schumann and the "Queens International 2013" biennial, Saturday visitors will invited to take part in a multicultural blessing of the space, see the inaugural group of artists in the new Studio Residency Program and stick around for the opening-day party during extended museum hours.
Special offerings on Sunday include a community pilgrimage to the museum, a Build Your Own Drone aerial-video workshop with two "Queens International 2013" artists, and performances by folkloric bands and dance troupes. Monday, the closing day of the Target Wide Open Weekend, is an open house especially for families. For the full schedule of opening weekend events, click here.
The Queens Museum is located on New York Ave in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, right next to the Unisphere (718-592-9700, queensmuseum.org).
You might also like
- Lady Gaga concert photos: Live at Roseland Ballroom
- Tiny Kitchen Recipes: Fish-sauce chicken wings from Pok Pok
- Word on the street: 12 crazy things we overheard in NYC this week
- Judging the Tompkins Square Park Halloween Dog Parade (slide show)
- Word on the street: 13 crazy things we overheard in NYC this week