1. Pasir Ris Red House
Haunted by Rumours say the house was used as a temporary nursery and shelter for children during the Japanese Occupation from 1942-1945. A massacre may have happened where the children and teachers were burnt alive or bayoneted in the house. Or there was a murder case where a man killed his wife and children then hung himself. The spirit of the family resides at a big old tree that used to stand beside the house. Apparently, it’s called Red House because paranormal-seekers said they saw blood-stained interior walls. Other famous tales are a doll sitting on a rocking chair, and if you try to remove it, you’ll hear a scream, or a pair of Chinese guardian lion statues with glowing eyes and turning heads, white shadows in the compound and the sounds of children running around and, even, evil laughter.
The story behind it Situated in the former fishing village of Kampong Loyang, the house was built in 1938. The first owners were Sir Percy McNeice, a British civil servant, and his wife, Lok Yuen Peng, also known as Lady McNeice, in the late 1940s. Sir Percy was known for his contributions to housing, family planning and social welfare in Singapore. Lady McNeice was the daughter of Loke Yew, British Malaya’s richest man before the Second World War and sister to the founder of Cathay Organisation, Loke Wan Tho. Lady McNeice used her house as a community area where kampong residents nearby gathered and she provided free meals and education for them. In 1964, the house was sold to Tang Choon Keeng, or CK Tang, the owner of the Tangs Department Store. Shortly after, it was mysteriously abandoned, remained derelict for many decades and became a thrill-seeking spot for ghost-hunters, especially in the 90s.
Accessibility 191 Jalan Loyang Besar. In the early 2010s, the house was bought over by Odyssey Preschool. It was renovated, spruced up and the lion statues and big old tree removed. In 2014, the preschool officially opened giving the compound a new lease of life.