50. Reliance Building, 1 W Washington St
Completed in 1895
This State Street landmark might be better known to some as the Hotel Burnham, the name by which it reopened in 1999 after extensive restoration. (The hotel is now called the Alise Chicago after changing hands in 2016.) The restaurant at street level, the Atwood, is named for the building’s principal architect, Charles B. Atwood of Daniel Burnham’s firm. It was remarkable at the time—and still is—for its expansive use of glass; combined with white glazed terra cotta, the building looked almost impossibly light for its 14 stories.
Fun fact The building’s first storefront tenant was Carson Pirie Scott & Co., before it took over its own building a block south.