Owned by the National Trust, Red House and its garden were commissioned by William Morris and designed by Philip Webb, two of the founding members of the Arts and Crafts movement. On its completion in 1859, Morris lived in the house with his wife Jane Burden, a pre-Raphaelite model and talented embroiderer, for five years and it is filled with his work and the works of Edward Burne-Jones, Faulkner, Rosetti, Webb and Jane Burden. The garden, which features a striking centre-piece well intended by Morris to be the social centre of the house, is regarded as having had an important influence on Gertrude Jekyll and William Robinson.
|Venue name:||Red House||Contact:|
Red House Lane
|Opening hours:||until Nov 4 2012: Wed-Sun 11am-5pm; Nov 5-Dec 20: Fri-Sun 11am-5pm (closed Dec 21-Mar 2013). Adm is by guided tour from 11am and unguided viewing after 2pm|
|Transport:||Rail: Bexleyheath rail|
|Price:||Adm is by guided tour from 11am and unguided viewing after 2pm; £7.20, children £3.60, family £18|
|Do you own this business?|
To improve this listing email: firstname.lastname@example.org