The Ciné Lumière in South Kensington is the cinema of L’Institut Français du Royaume-Uni – or the French Cultural Institute, for English speakers. The venue offers a good mix of new releases (focusing on foreign, independent and, of course, French films) and retrospective seasons. Given its close association with the French government and cultural establishment, the Ciné Lumière regularly plays host to French filmmakers, in town to discuss their work. It’s an attractive venue more generally too. The cinema is welcoming and well equipped, while downstairs there’s a grand lobby area with a marble staircase and a café-restaurant that’s good for hanging out before or after a movie.
|Venue name:||Ciné Lumière|
17 Queensberry Place
|Transport:||Tube: South Kensington|
|Do you own this business?|
- A tiny Mediterranean inlet nestling under a passing railway viaduct, the little community of Mejean is so photogenic it looks like a film set. With second-homers having snapped up most local property, however, it’s now deserted off-season, leaving...Read more
- A fey young woman drifts around Paris, fluffy white cat in tow, searching for love and purpose. French director Léonor Serraille’s debut film could easily have been unbearably twee. The fact that it isn’t, at all, is a tribute both to her unsentim...Read more
- Based on the true story of the French novelist Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette (Keira Knightley), Wash Westmoreland plunges us into the literary scene of turn-of-the-century Paris. Almost immediately his camera casts a critical eye on this setting. Rath...Read more
- Long, densely scripted and full of thunderous passions, Mike Leigh’s urgent grassroots epic about an infamous 1819 massacre of peaceful protestors by cavalry is a whole lot of movie. It’s meticulously crafted, every scene drawing you in with preci...Read more
- ‘Irrevérsible’ director Gaspar Noé has never been afraid of controversy, and ‘Climax’ is no different. Cranking up the decibels, and with nausea-inducing camera work, it’s a sensual overload that will have your heart pounding. Opening with the f...Read more
Snap up exclusive discounts in London
Time Out's handpicked deals — hurry, they won't be around for long...