One of London’s friendliest cinemas, single-screener The Lexi is run mostly by enthusiastic local volunteers, with every penny of profits going to a charity in South Africa. The programme is a mix of everything from recent blockbusters to arthouse and foreign films, plus special events, Q&As and classic movie seasons (a recent run of Francois Truffaut oldies were accompanied by cheese and wine tastings). The chairs are comfy, the sound system is second to none and the bar cosy. The Lexi team is also responsible for the brilliant outdoor cinema Nomad.
|Venue name:||Lexi Cinema||Contact:|
194 Chamberlayne Rd
|Transport:||Tube: Kensal Green|
|Do you own this business?|
- That’s Manchester, Massachusetts, a small fishing community that’s the setting for this devastating tale of buried trauma from American director and playwright Kenneth Lonergan (‘You Can Count on Me’). Casey Affleck gives a complex, brooding centr...Read more
- Embarrassing dads don't come much more meaningful (or embarrassing) than the one in this German comedy. Running at nearly three hours, writer-director Maren Ade gives us a young workaholic professional German woman, Inès (Sandra Hüller), who’s on ...Read more
- The first miracle of Barry Jenkins’s exquisite coming-of-age drama ‘Moonlight’ – and this heartbreaker of a film is filled with miracles – happens around a kitchen table. We’ve already seen quiet, sullen Chiron (Alex Hibbert), a 10-year-old with f...Read more
- British actor Dev Patel (‘Slumdog Millionaire’) is all grown up and back in India for this real-life tearjerker about Saroo Brierley, who as a five-year-old was separated from his family in rural India and later adopted by an Australian family. In...Read more
- ‘Jackie’ starts with a face – more a mask than a face, puffy from crying and suffering a loss that few can imagine. It’s the face of Natalie Portman, playing 34-year-old Jacqueline Kennedy during the week after her husband’s 1963 assassination. Ri...Read more
- This charming animated family movie about a teenage Polynesian girl fighting to save her Pacific island’s future feels like business as usual for Disney in many ways. There’s a strong young female lead, catchy show tunes, lush landscapes and talki...Read more
- As inspiring as the red glare of rockets heading into space, this huge-hearted crowd-pleaser has a sophisticated idea running through it: by and large, busy scientists don’t have time for racism or sexism. So it proved at Virginia’s Langley Resear...Read more
Average User Rating
5 / 5
- 5 star:46
- 4 star:1
- 3 star:0
- 2 star:0
- 1 star:0
The Lexi is a local institution, I love it when they invite writers and directors to give an introductory talk before the screening. Big venue treatment from a tiny local outfit with heart.
Friendly local cinema, showing the best new films plus one-off special interest ones, with a great cafe/bar.
Lovely boutique cinema showing all the latest films with reasonably priced drinks and snacks. And all for a good cause!
A charming little indie cinema in Kensal Rise with friendly staff, comfy seats and excellent choices of films & live operas.
Brilliant independent local cinema showing latest releases plus opera from the Met in New York and plays from the NT. Local estate agent Greenes offer occasional "Greene Sundays" with showing of latest film at £2.50 a ticket.
God, I love the Lexi: not is it an amazing cinema right on our doorstep .. but all the proceeds go to charity..
Love the lexi. Especially love the mum and baby showings, means I can watch all the latest films with my little baby! Amazing!
Ties with the Tricycle as the best little independent cinemas in the area, maybe in London - we're lucky to have both, and I wish I went there more often!!
Such a neighbourhood gem, it's so cosy, they have great showings and events, super cosy and fun atmosphere and it's a great cause too. Proud to be a member.
This cinema is a must-visit for any film fan. It offers a top-end viewing experience along with the warm glow of knowing that all profits made are donated direct to charity. I have visited several times and am happy to come in to London from Ascot to see my films in comfort here. My vote goes to the Lexi!
I just love this place. Warm welcomes, fantastic films, comfy chairs - all the while raising money for a really important charity. If you haven't been yet, you should watch your next film there, but be warned ... you might just fall in love with the place!
Beautiful and friendly atmosphere, and their staffed entirely by volunteers, as 100% of their profits go to charity, which is a rare and wonderful thing. Do come and see for yourselves!
Small cosy cinema showing good films - most of the time - and when they are not quite to your liking you don't mind having spent the money as it goes to a good cause.
this is such a lovely venue- we had my husband's birthday here and showed a film. It was a very memorable occasion which everyone is still talking about! The atmosphere is so friendly and intimate you feel like its a club and you are sitting in your own lounge! Revamped bar and extension add to the space - highly recommended.....
Precious, pretty, perfect selection of wines, beers and atmosphere, staffed by volunteers to keep costs low as 100% of their profits go to charity - what more could you want in a boutique cinema?
A fantastic, small, comfortable, friendly cinema experience with the bonus of wine and profits going to charity
Non-for-profit cinema with a warm and friendly vibe. Constantly changing movies and shows it's a little gem to have so close.
Great films & events, great food & drink, and all profits go to a great cause. So lucky that the Lexi is my local in Kensal Rise.
Volunteer run. Screens films and Live Opera. All proceeds go to charity. What more do you want? Oh, and that bearded manager Dave is pretty much the best person I ever met.
Charming, quirky and welcoming, the Lexi is an antidote to the impersonal multiplex experience. It is perfect for true lovers of cinema and every penny of its profits goes to a charity supporting innovative, life-changing work in South Africa. London's best picture-house by far.
It's lovely having such a great resource like the Lexi. A lovely place to see your favourite films, have a drink and to meet up with friends in the area. Knowing you are contributing to a worthwhile project in South Africa just adds to the pleasure. Such a welcome addition to the neighborhood
This is the most wonderful local treasure any community could be blessed with. It is a cinema that shows all the latest films and has special theatre & opera showings. It's is a beautiful, comfortable venue with a beautiful bar. It's staffed by gorgeous volunteers and All its profits goes to a school in South Africa. Every community should have one.
Great film choice, intimate surroundings and exceptional staff - become a member and its also even better value - our favourite venue!
A beautiful, stylish and friendly pocket-sized cinema showing great films, with a lovely bar too! Plus all of the profits go to charity so you can even feel good about spending your money – perfection! If you love films and don't live round the corner, you might consider moving.
Great local venue; comfortable cinema with excellent & eclectic programmes for all tastes and ages; lovely cafe and bar; friendly & helpful staff and volunteers; and a really good ethos of helping a great project in South Africa .
So much passion and love goes in to this cinema. It has great films, a well stocked bar, very comfortable seat and brilliant staff. Plus all the profits go to charity!
A very friendly comfortable venue where you can watch the latest films and have a drink at the same time. Made all the more worthwhile as all profits go to charity
Great place to go to the movies, proper seats, great selection of drinks, tables for your bottle of wine, get together with friends and know that you are contributing to a worthy cause and helping change and improve people's lives by just eating your popcorn.. !
Who needs the multiplex when places like The Lexi exist, and it's around the corner from my doorstep! Always a great choice of films, plus they do live screenings of the Met Opera and the National Theatre. Always a friendly and cosy atmosphere, I never go anywhere else. They have a fantastic bar too, with locally sourced beers, from Notting Hill I think. They do fresh popcorn too. Can't recommend this place highly enough!